Thursday 23 May 2013

Bishop wants to be ready for new Ospreys season

Having missed the final months of the rugby season, Andrew Bishop has stated his intent to do all he can to meet his team-mates for the new pre-season following back surgery and keep his place as the Region’s record appearance holder.

While the majority of the Ospreys squad are away from Llandarcy on international duty or on their summer holidays, Andrew Bishop remains a day-to-day regular at the region’s training centre.

As he continues his rehab under the watchful eye of the medical team, Bishop said he’s positive about playing a part from day one. He said: “It’s going really well, things are on target for me to take part in pre-season.

“I’m working really hard on my rehab and hopefully I’ll be running again later this week. I’ve never really suffered much with injuries during my career thankfully, [so] it was really disappointing to have to sit out four months of the season.

“I’ve just got to move on now and I’m looking forward to next season. The target is pre-season and I’ve got to crack on over the next few weeks to make sure I’m ready.”

However, he says that he’s been pleased by what he’s seen from the team during the last four months or so, and what he has seen bodes well for next season:

“It does give you a different perspective on things,” he added. “It’s been interesting to have a proper look at some of the boys who I train with every day. I think next season is going to be a good year for us because the injury problems we did have this season have allowed other boys to step up and show what they are about, and that’s a positive thing.”

Bishop became the most capped Osprey of all time when he overtook Paul James last November, making his 181st appearance for the region against Edinburgh at Murrayfield. Having stretched his record tally to 188 prior to his injury, he has watched as team-mates Jonathan Thomas and Duncan Jones close the gap, Thomas eventually joining him on 188 with Jones one behind by the end of the season.

With next season in mind, Bishop has vowed to hold on to his position at the top of the appearance list. But first, he acknowledges he needs to regain his place in midfield from the current incumbents of his position.

“I was relieved they didn’t take the record” he said. “I know that if I’m fit at the start of the season I can kick on and stay ahead of everyone else, so the work I’m doing now will hopefully put me in that position.

“I’m proud to be up there at the top of the appearance [list]. I’ve been fortunate with injuries in my career, but when you look at the rest of the boys near the top of the list they are all forwards.

“It’s an incredible achievement for a forward in particular to play so many games and shows how durable these guys are and how professional they are. They deserve a lot of credit for that, but I don’t want them to take my place at the top!

“200 is the next landmark, that would be a huge achievement if I can become the first Osprey to play 200 times.

“It’s not going to be easy though, I’m still working to get back to fitness before the start of the season and then I’ll have to shift the boys who’ve got the shirt at the moment. It makes things interesting, and the competition for places will make the Ospreys stronger.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment