Saturday 8 June 2013

Scorpions star Parry defects to rivals

South Wales Scorpions coach Dave Clark has vowed to continue strengthening his side after they lost record try scorer Steve Parry to local rivals Gloucestershire All Golds.

Parry switched clubs just ahead of their crunch derby clash tomorrow at Cheltenham’s The Prince of Wales Stadium, with Clark stating he couldn’t stand in the way of a player leaving if his heart “isn’t in it”.

He said: “We are continuing to strengthen the side. We’ve signed four new players in the last week, two of whom are half-backs, and that is a massive plus for us.

“We’re sorry to lose Steve, but I know all the lads will be looking forward to facing him this Sunday. It was a tough decision for the club to agree to release him. He has been a loyal servant and has always been part of my plans for this season and the future.”

Parry, who has three Welsh caps to his name, played in the club’s first game in February 2010 and scored their second ever try in the 22-20 win over Workington Town.

The 24-year-old scored 43 tries in 73 matches, which is also the record for the most appearances for the club. He also leaves just 17 points off being the club’s record points scorer.

He said of his decision to leave: “It’s been a really tough decision for me because I've been here from the start and it’s become a big part of me. But unfortunately I have decided to leave as I am not enjoying the rugby side of things at the moment.

“My style of play does not seem to fit in with the direction that the coach wants to go. The way I was being utilised as a player was having a negative effect on my game and it’s been hard for me to find consistency within the team, which in turn has affected my performances.”

He also paid tribute to Scorpions fans for getting behind him, adding: “I would like to thank the fans and everyone who worked behind the scenes of the club for a fantastic few years. They have worked really hard to make the club a success and I really appreciate the support they have given the team and myself over the past seasons.

“I can’t thank everyone enough for the opportunity I was given to play rugby league at this level, and I’d like to thank all the players and wish them and the club the best of luck through the season in getting the success they deserve.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment